Friday, March 20, 2009

No subject

I did a little digging in the dirt yesterday when I got home from work. I cleared a path in the sun garden and tossed a few green manure seeds on the other paths. The green manure that I planted a couple of weeks ago is coming up on the paths pretty well. I hope that works well this year. I am excited to try something new and different with my garden paths, and the nitrogen in the soil and compost pile will be much appreciated. It will be nice to have the whole garden green. My big concern is that the clover and alfalfa won't hold up well to the foot traffic, and will just become a sloppy green wet mess - we'll see.

The inside seeds that we started on 3/11 are now popping up pretty consistently. I saw the first of the black romas hit the surface yesterday. Sarah's cumin and cupids dart also surfaced. The sunflowers we planted on 3/10 are doing well, except the moulin rouge ones that we got from Ryan and Kate. No sign of those yet. I hope those do well. A huge splash of red poking out of the garden would just be so exciting. Even the kids sunflowers that they just planted last week at church are starting to surface.

I am thinking about harvesting this weekend. I could nab enough lettuce, beet leaves and spinach for a small salad. I am struggling with my urge to begin harvesting or to let stuff grow longer. I keep telling myself that I should not protect these young plants, I have done a good job of planting a whole bunch in succession, so I should feel no guilt with an early harvest. When the first 8 lettuce and 9 spinach and 5 beets are all harvested (probably about 6 small salads later), there should be plenty ready to take their place on my dinner table. Anyway - the fact that I'm even thinking about a mid-March harvest is pretty amazing. We'll see this weekend whether I actually had the cohones to harvest my little seedlings.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I broke down and registered so I can comment. Ed and I built our raised bed covers and put them over a 3'x10' bed to warm up the soil. Ed wants to know if you bought a soil thermometer and I said, knowing Chad, he sneaked a mouth thermometer out of the house for use in the garden. Am I right? We hope to get the soil warm enough to start planting next week, probably spinach, radishes, onion sets, and kale. How exciting is that! Let me know if you harvested today...hummm, three leaves per salad?
    MoM

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have a soil thermometer (X-mas gift perhaps?) I have a couple $2 thermometers just laying inside the cold frames to test the air temp inside the frames. I suppose you could bury a standard thermometer inside the frame for a night to test the soil temp if you wanted to try the cheap approach first. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete